Very robust, intense flavors fused into this chicken dish. A little tart and a little spicy, serve as an appetizer or main dish.
Prep Time: 4 hours 50 min
Cook time: 30 min
Yield: 6 servings
o 2 cups Unsalted chicken broth
o 1 tablespoon Olive oil
o 2 teaspoons Ground cumin
o 2 tablespoons Pickling spice
o 1/2 Yellow bell pepper, sliced
o 1/2 Red bell pepper, sliced
o 1 pound Boneless chicken breast, halves
o 2 tablespoons Minced jalapeno pepper with seeds
o 1 Onion, halved -- thinly sliced
o 1/3 cup Rice wine vinegar
o 1/4 cup Fresh cilantro leaves
o 3 large Garlic cloves -- minced
o tortilla chips, as needed
1. Combine broth and pickling spice in a large saucepan, bring to a boil and cook ten minutes. Strain and return liquid to saucepan.
2. Add chicken, onion, vinegar, garlic, oil and cumin to pan. Simmer over very low heat until chicken is just cooked through, about ten minutes.
3. Transfer chicken and onions to a shallow dish. Top with bell peppers and minced jalapeno.
4. Boil liquid remaining in saucepan until reduced to 2/3 cup, about ten minutes.
5. Pour liquid over chicken and let cool 30 minutes. Add cilantro to chicken mixture.
6. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, turning chicken occasionally, about 4 hours (can be prepared one day ahead).
7. Slice chicken and transfer to plates. Top with marinated vegetables and some of the juices. Serve with tortilla chips.