Here's the classic beef burrito recipe that may easily be made by the average home cook. Enhance the burrito flavors by trying a variety of hot, mild, RED or GREEN SAUCES for garnish.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook time: 25 min
Total time: 40 mins
Yield: 6 servings
o 2 lbs lean ground beef
o 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
o 3/4 teaspoon Salt
o 2 tablespoons Paprika
o 2 1/2 tablespoons Chili powder
o 1 teaspoon Cumin
o 1/2 cup diced Onion
o 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
o 1/2 cup diced Bell pepper
o 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
o Flour Tortillas, as needed
1. In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, ground beef, onion and bell pepper. Cook over medium heat until beef is browned and onion tender.
2. Add 3/4 cup water, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and paprika to the beef mixture and mix well. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Simmer over medium low heat until liquid is reduced to just 3 or 4 tablespoons (about 20 minutes). Stir frequently as mixture simmers.
3. Heat flour tortilla on hot griddle or oven set on 200 degrees F.
4. Spoon about 2 or 3 tablespoons of beef mixture evenly down center of each tortilla.
5. Sprinkle evenly with shredded cheese then roll up tortilla into a log shape.
6. Serve hot with sour cream and salsa. Burritos may be garnished with lettuce, tomato, and guacamole if desired.