Not your everyday recipe, this Acapulco chicken takes time and skill to make but the results will be compliments aplenty. Recommended for special occasions.
Chicken Acapulco With Shrimp Sauce
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook time: 25 min
Total time: 50 mins
Yield: 4 servings
o 4 large Poblano peppers
o 1/4 cup Onion, chopped
o 1/2 pound Medium shrimp, lightly Cooked, peeled and chopped
o 1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped
o 1/4 pound Monterey jack cheese, Shredded
o 4 (8 ozs ea.) chicken breasts, Halved, de-boned and Pounded flat
o Salt and pepper, to taste
o 12 strings (each 6-in long)
o Oil, as needed for frying
o FOR SHRIMP SAUCE
o 3 Shallots, diced
o 1 cup White wine
o 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
o 1 pound Small shrimp
o 2 cups Whipping cream
o 3/4 pound Butter
1. Place Poblano peppers under the broiler and char on all sides. Put in a plastic bag, seal and let stand 10 minutes. Remove from bag, rub off outer peel, then cut through middle and remove seeds under running water.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3. In a medium pan on stove top, heat 1 tablespoon oil and saute onion, shrimp, and Cilantro until the shrimp are almost cooked, about 3-5 minutes. Place mixture in a bowl, add the cheese and set aside.
4. Lay the four prepared chicken breasts flat, skin-side down. Season with salt and pepper. Layer each breast with one pepper and 2 to 3 tablespoons shrimp/cheese mixture over pepper. Roll each breast tightly to form a cylinder. Tie each cylinder in 3 places with string (both ends and in the middle).
5. In a skillet, heat about 1/4-inch of oil. Lightly brown chicken breasts, one at a time, on all sides. Remove from heat, transfer to a oven-proof dish and bake for 10 minutes in pre-heated oven or until cooked through.
6. Make shrimp sauce: In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine shallots and wine. Cook until reduced by three-fourths. Add stock/broth and small shrimp and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add the whipping cream and cook until reduced again by half. Whisk in the butter a tablespoon at a time. Cook until butter melts and sauce is well-blended. Remove from heat.
7. Cut strings from chicken and slice chicken into 1-inch bite size pieces. Drizzle a few tablespoons of Shrimp Sauce onto a plate and arrange the chicken on top of the sauce. Serve immediately.