Mexican chili has different names to distinguish the type of meat used in the recipe. "Colorado" means the chili is made with chunks of beef as opposed to pork, shredded pork, ground beef, etc.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 15 mins
Yield: 4 servings
o 3 lbs beef shoulder, cut into bite sized cubes
o 1/2 cup flour
o 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
o 5 teaspoons chili powder
o 2 teaspoons ground cumin
o 2 teaspoons garlic powder
o 1 teaspoon onion powder
o 6 ounces tomato paste
o 2 cups water
o salt and pepper to taste
1. Spread the flour out on a plate and coat the beef cubes completely, dusting off the excess.
2. Heat oil in a heavy pot and brown the beef over medium-high heat.
3. Add all remaining ingredients except salt and pepper.
4. Bring to a simmer, season to taste with salt and pepper
5. Continue cooking on low for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours until the beef is tender and falling apart. Add additional water if necessary to prevent the pot from drying out.
6. Serve over Mexican rice or use it as a burrito filling.