You are here:
MEXICAN STOVE TOP FLAN RECIPE
Stove top flan can be easy but may be a challenge for new cooks. But, why not give it a try. That's how you learn.
Mexican Stove Top Flan
1 hour 15 min
1 hour 35 mins
10 egg yolks
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
3 tablespoons margarine
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1. Note: Before beginning, you must have a 9 inch glass pie dish and a pot the proper size so you can place the pie dish on top of the pot without the dish falling into the pot (see picture below).
2. Make the custard by whisking together the yolks, condensed milk, and evaporated milk; set aside.
3. Melt margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar; keep stirring until the brown sugar has dissolved, and is smooth.
4. Evenly spread the melted margarine/brown sugar mix over the bottom of a 9 inch pie dish. Pour the custard (from step 1) over the top of the margarine/brown sugar mix. Cover with aluminum foil.
5. Select a pot the proper size that allows you to place the pie dish on top of the pot without it falling in. Fill the pot approximately 3/4 full with water and bring to a simmer on the stove.
6. Place the pie dish over the simmering water and cook for 65 to 70 minutes, until flan has set (a knife stuck into the center of the flan comes out clean).
7. Remove flan from the top of the boiling water pot and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes.
8. To serve, loosen the flan from the pie dish by running a knife around the edges; invert onto a serving plate. Serve at room temperature or cold.
ABOUT CHILE PEPPERS
MEXICAN COOKING TECHNIQUES
WHAT DID I ORDER?
ON OUR SISTER WEB SITES