This popular side dish/appetizer may be served with almost any Mexican main dish. Nacho's are also very often served alone as a dipping snack.
Total time: 18 mins
Yield: as needed
Note: Amount of all ingredients is "as needed" according to how many you want to make.
o wedge-shaped tortilla chips (as many as you want to make, allow 10 per person)
o Monterey jack or any sharp cheese, shredded
o pickled jalapeno peppers, chopped
o refried beans (canned)
o shredded lettuce
o diced tomatoes
o sour cream
1. Spread tortilla chips on a cookie sheet.
2. Spread a dab of refried beans on each chip.
3. Scatter the cheese over the chips.
4. Place chips under a broiler until the cheese bubbles and begins to brown. Do not walk away. Watch the entire time, they will burn quickly.
5. Remove from oven and sprinkle jalapenos and shredded lettuce over the nacho's according to taste.
6. Serve immediately with lime wedges, salsa, sour cream and guacamole on the side.