What more could you want in authentic Mexican food? These Quesadillas combine chicken, tortillas, chili peppers, garlic and cheese for an explosion of flavors. This is a favorite at many good Mexican restaurants.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook time: 12 min
Yield: 4 + servings
o 1 Whole chicken breast -- boneless and skinless
o 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
o 1/4 teaspoon Salt
o Chili powder (4 pinches)
o Cumin (4 pinches)
o 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
o 1 Clove of Garlic -- minced
o 1 Problano Chili
o 8 six-inch Flour Tortillas
o 2 cups Grated cheddar cheese (mild -- or sharp)
o 1 cup Grated chihuahua cheese or -- Monterey Jack cheese
o 1 cup Salsa or guacamole -optional
1. Heat 2 tbs oil over medium heat and cook the chicken until done (approx. 5 minutes on each side). Cool to room temperature and shred into 1/4-inch pieces.
2. Place the poblano pepper over a gas burner or under a broiler and char the skin until black all over. Rotate as necessary. Place pepper in a paper bag and close. After 15 minutes remove pepper from bag and remove the charred skin, seeds, and stem. Cut the pepper into 1/2-inch strips.
3. Place 4 tortillas on a large cookie sheet and top each with 3/4 cup of combined cheeses, a pinch of chili powder, a pinch of cumin, 1/2 cup of shredded chicken, salt, pepper and divided poblano strips. Top with remaining tortillas.
4. Place cookie sheet with tottillas under broiler. Watch until cheese melts and tortillas begin to brown. This only takes a short while so do not walk away while broiler is on.
5. Let cool slightly before cutting each Quesadillas into 6 wedges. Serve with salsa or guacamole if desired.