Yield: 12 servings
o 2 cups masa harina
o 1 1/3 cups warm water
1. Stir masa harina and water together until dough holds together in a ball.
2. Turn onto a working surface that has been dusted with masa harina. Knead quickly into a smooth ball. Divide dough into twelve equal pieces.
3. Roll one piece into a ball. Place between two sheets of wax paper and flatten slightly. Press tortillas (still in wax paper) in a tortilla press (see note below) until tortilla measures about 6 inches in diameter.
4. Repeat with remaining pieces of dough, stacking tortillas, still sandwiched in wax paper, under a damp towel until ready for use.
5. When you're ready to cook the tortillas, preheat a seasoned cast iron griddle over medium-high heat. Remove wax paper from tortilla and heat on griddle, turning frequently until it looks dry and has a golden color, about 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Note: If you do not have a tortilla press, you can use a rolling pin. It takes more effort and a little practice but is not difficult.